Friday, August 20, 2010

DIY Fairy Shadowbox

DSC00375

Faeries are always fun to have around, they can come in handy when your lonely or need tiny hands to help you in a project. They are the perfect creatures for threading needle!
I love to keep some extra faeries in my daughter's room, and she loves it also. So, do you want to have your own fairy? Its quite easy you know, all they need is a place to stay and some shiny lost things to fiddle with.

First, you need to gather your materials:
1 shadowbox
1 fairy image (printout or cutout)
lost things (beads,mirrors,spools,anythings tiny really)
glue
glitter
paint or scrapbook paper
Image for your fairy, I got my ballerina over at the Graphics Fairy blog.

1- Glue your image into a piece of thin cardboard, you can skip this step if you printed the image into cardstock, but since I didnt have any on hand I had to add this step.
Step 1

2- After its dried, cut out your image from the cardboard.
DSC00367
Now you may paint, or embelish your image. I painted her dress and added some glitter.
DSC00369
3-Don't forget to add wings! I used some dollar store butterflies for this.
DSC00370

4-Now you have to set up the new home for the fairy. I painted this particular shadow box, but you can use paper or anything else for that matter to decorate the shadowbox.
DSC00371DSC00374
5-Add your new tenant to the shadowbox. I glued her firmly with my hot glue gun. You can add the lost things now to keep your fairy entertained, that way she wont be tempted to fly away to the garden where she can get lost or eaten by cats! Remember to ocationally feed her magic by chanting " I do believe in faeries, I do believe in ..."
DSC00380DSC00378

You're done!

Remember to enter the August Giveaway!

Peace,
Maria Isabel

8 comments:

  1. That's so cool and I love the milagros- nice job!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great and I want to make one but I'll have to see if I can find a shadow box

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is adorable. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful!! I love the sparkly wings. What a fun project! Thank you so much for linking this up to Brag Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I have been wanting to make one forever! I have to get my butt up and stop bieng lazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty shadowbox! I do believe in fairy too! I love the dress you specially made for the fairy! Happy weekends! Vicky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw that is so cute!!
    I came by to respond to your comment but I had to comment that I looove shadow boxes.

    Anyhow, I have given a bit of thought to doing web design professionally but at this point I am still learning.

    Hopefully when I get a little more proficient I can add it to my resume of skills :)

    That being said I would not be against giving what tiny advice I can if you ever need it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!